The Ohio Casino Control Commission today announced deadlines for applications for a sports gaming license. The first deadline is July 15, 2022.
The move by the OCCC, which comes 10 days after the commission released sample applications for public comment, may be a signal that Ohio is going to move quickly to launch a sports betting market. The law requires Ohio to launch sports betting no later than Jan. 1, 2023.
Partial Timeline Released For Ohio Sports Betting Regulatory Process
According to an email posted today on a state listserv by the OCCC, the commission will accept applications for one month starting June 15. That period will cover certain types of sports gaming licenses. A Sports Gaming Implementation Timeline has been posted on the state website.
During the first application period that begins June 15, sports gaming applications will be received for Type A, Type B, and Type C proprietors, as well as first designated Mobile Management Services Providers (MMSPs), Management Services Providers, and Suppliers. Typically, an agency will vet applications, performing background and financial checks on all parties named on the submission.
The OCCC will begin accepting applications for Type C Sports Gaming Hosts and second designated MMSPs on July 15, with a deadline of one month later on Aug. 15, 2022.
Only completed applications will be considered for licensure and inclusion in an Ohio launch of sports betting, which many hope will come later this year, prior to the 2023 deadline.
Ohio Sports Betting Launch Timeline
- June 15, 2022: Applications for Type A, B, and C proprietors, MMSPs, MSPs, and Supplier licenses accepted.
- July 15, 2022: Closing of the license application period for Type A, B, and C proprietors, MMSPs, MSPs, and Suppliers.
- July 15, 2022: Applications for Type C Sports Gaming Hosts and second designated MMSPs licenses accepted.
- August 15, 2022: Closing of license applications for Type C Sports Gaming Hosts and second designated MMSPs.
- 60 Days Prior To Universal Start Date: Submission deadline for all responsible gaming plans, facility plans, equipment testing, geolocation procedures, house rules & required procedures.
- 60 Days Prior To Universal Start Date: Standard sports gaming employee application deadline.
- 30 Days Prior To Universal Start Date: All equipment must be ready for OCCC verification.
- Jan. 1, 2023: Last possible date of Universal Start Date.
According to the state website, the OCCC “has the responsibility to ensure the integrity of casino gaming, sports gaming, skill-based amusement machines, and fantasy contests by licensing, regulating, investigating and enforcing state laws.”
With approximately 11.7 million people, Ohio is the seventh-largest state by population. It’s anticipated to be one of the largest sports betting markets in the United States, with the potential to earn tax revenue for the state in excess of $45 million per year.