Betting on NASCAR in Ohio has been legalized, along with Ohio sports betting. Major sportsbooks such as DraftKings, BetMGM, and Caesars Sportsbook could be operational by the fourth quarter of 2022. Ohio is expected to become one of the most lucrative states in the US sports betting industry.
NASCAR betting will be available at major sportsbooks throughout the 2022 season, leading up to the Cup Series Championship in November. Here are the odds at three top sportsbooks for Hendrick Motorsports driver Kyle Larson, who is the defending NASCAR Cup Series champion:
Where Can You Bet On NASCAR In Ohio?
Our top three recommendations for betting on NASCAR in Ohio are BetMGM, DraftKings, and Caesars. All three of these sportsbooks offer top sports betting apps that are as fast as the action on the track. As you can see from the futures odds above, they all offer betting options on the next NASCAR Cup Series champion, too. Betting odds will be available on each race throughout the 2022 season. The NASCAR season starts with the Daytona 500 in February and ends at Phoenix Raceway in November.
How Are Odds Calculated On NASCAR In Ohio?
Oddsmakers at BetMGM, DraftKings, and Caesars Sportsbook create the betting odds on NASCAR races. The odds can vary so it’s important to have multiple sportsbook accounts. This will ensure that you can find the best available odds for your bet. When handicapping NASCAR, it’s advisable to research how cars perform in practice sessions leading up to the race.
NASCAR is different from other team sports in the sense that some organizations have superior equipment based on budgets and sponsorship money. Hendrick Motorsports, which captured the most recent NASCAR Cup title with driver Kyle Larson in the No. 5 Chevrolet, also has top drivers such as Chase Elliott and William Byron in their stable. Joe Gibbs Racing is another leading organization featuring former NASCAR Cup champions Denny Hamlin in the No. 11 Toyota and Kyle Busch in the No. 18 Toyota.
NASCAR Cup Series News And Betting Updates
- April 17, 2022: Ross Chastain wins the Geico 500 at Talladega Superspeedway to record his second Cup victory of the season.
- April 7, 2022: RFK driver Brad Keselowski’s No. 6 Ford team was stripped of 10 playoff points and crew chief Matt McCall was suspended for four races and fined $100,000 for mechanical violations at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
- March 13, 2022: Chad Briscoe wins the first race this year at Phoenix Raceway, which will host the NASCAR Cup Series Championship race in November.
- March 6, 2022: Alex Bowman and Kyle Larson give Hendrick Motorsports a 1-2 finish at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
What Different Types Of Bets Can You Make On NASCAR In Ohio?
We’ve discussed moneyline (futures) odds on different drivers to win the NASCAR Cup Series championship. Kyle Larson was a consensus favorite at the time of this writing. Here were the top-10 betting favorites at DraftKings as of April 29:
NASCAR Cup Series Championship Odds
|Kyle Larson ||+400
|Kyle Busch ||+800|
|Joey Logano ||+1200|
|Martin Truex Jr. ||+1200|
|Alex Bowman ||+1600|
You can also bet on the winner of each NASCAR Cup race. It’s important to consider a driver’s history of performance at the race track that’s hosting the race that weekend. For example, the Cup series just ran its first race of the 2022 season at Talladega Superspeedway at the time of this writing. It will return to Talladega in the fall.
Superspeedway racing is much different than competition on intermediate tracks. Restrictor plates are used to slow the cars down and keep drivers safe. You have to work in tandem with another driver to make progress due to the aerodynamic forces at work at Talladega and Daytona. Those two tracks produce some of the most entertaining races, but also play host to the most spectacular crashes.
Heading into the Talladega race, Brad Keselowski was among the betting favorites at +1300. Keselowski leads all current Cup drivers with six career wins at Talladega. At +1300, there was some value on Keselowski and a $100 bet would have paid out $1,300. Ross Chastain ended up winning the race at odds of +4000, giving $100 bettors a payout of $4,000.
The important lesson here is to understand the style of racing at a particular track and how drivers have fared in the past. NASCAR offers racing on road courses, short tracks, intermediate tracks, superspeedways, and even dirt tracks. They all demand a different skillset, so get to know which drivers perform well at different tracks.
It is often difficult to select the winning driver from a field of 40+ competitors. Sportsbooks also offer odds on a driver to finish in the top five. These odds will be shorter than win bets. If Joey Logano was +300 to win the race, you might see standard odds of -110 for him to finish in the top five.
This is a good time to explain how sportsbooks make their money. They charge a built-in fee to handle your bet. This is known as the vigorish or vig. At standard odds of -110, the vig is 4.36%. If you win your bet, you won’t pay that fee. But players betting $11 to win $10 will be losing $11.
Head-To-Head Matchup Bets
These are a fun option when it comes to betting on NASCAR races. Pick a pair of drivers that are matched up against one another and select the one who will finish higher. It takes all the pressure off of winning the race. You just need your driver to beat one other competitor. You might see Joe Gibbs Racing’s Kyle Busch (-120) over teammate Denny Hamlin (+110) at a certain track. Hamlin is considered the plus-money choice here as a $100 bet on him would return $110 (along with your initial $100 stake). Busch is a slight favorite in this scenario, and you’ll have to bet $120 to win $100 on him.
These can be available for select races. Prop, or proposition bets, are not related to the outcome of the race. How many laps will it take before the first caution flag comes out? This is an example of a prop bet in NASCAR.
How To Bet On NASCAR In Ohio
Very soon, Ohio residents will have a wide variety of sportsbooks to choose from for betting on NASCAR. Our recommendation is to use a sports betting app from BetMGM, DraftKings, Caesars Sportsbook, or FanDuel. This is the most convenient way to bet on sports in the modern era. Let’s use FanDuel in our example here.
- Download the FanDuel sports betting app. Apple iOS users will find it at the App Store, and Android users will need to visit the Google Play Store. In both instances, be sure to download the sports betting app and not the daily fantasy sports app for FanDuel.
- Register your account: Provide some personal information including name, email, date of birth, and Social Security number. Confirm the info and account in the follow-up email that FanDuel sends you.
- Fund your account: FanDuel makes this easy with several deposit methods including online banking, credit/debit cards, wire transfers, and more. When making your deposit, be sure to use the current promo code to receive your sign-up bonus at FanDuel.
- Navigate to the Motorsport tab on the app, click NASCAR, and then the race you’re interested in betting on. Click the driver odds you like, enter a bet amount and submit. Then enjoy the action from your bet and on the track!
Live Betting On NASCAR In Ohio
Live bets are placed after a race has officially started. New odds are offered on a real-time basis depending on how the race plays out. BetMGM, DraftKings, and FanDuel all offer terrific live-betting platforms. This is due to the strength and speed of their sports betting apps. This is a fast-paced form of sports betting and it requires a solid app to enjoy the experience. Odds will change for drivers depending on how they perform during the race. As with traditional bets, it’s a good idea to compare live odds at different sportsbooks to make sure you get the best number on your bet.
How To Bet On The NASCAR Championship In Ohio
NASCAR crowns its Cup Series champion at the final race of the season at Phoenix Raceway. Drivers amass championship points throughout the season. In the final race, four drivers will have an opportunity to win the championship. You can make bets on the winner or wager on matchups between drivers and how they’ll finish at Phoenix.
Top Three NASCAR Races To Bet On Each Year
- Daytona 500 – This is NASCAR’s biggest event and it kicks off each new season in February. It doesn’t get any better than this in NASCAR.
- Bristol Night Race – Bristol Motor Speedway in Tennessee is a tiny bullring of a track that hosts an annual night race in a coliseum-type setting. Short track action can up the intensity and drama of a race.
- Darlington Labor Day Weekend Night Race – Darlington is an old-school NASCAR favorite. The track’s “Too Tough To Tame” motto often proves to be true for even drivers at NASCAR’s highest level of competition.
Betting On NASCAR In Ohio FAQ
Oddsmakers look at a bunch of different factors to set Vegas betting odds on NASCAR races. One of the critical pieces of data comes in a driver’s past performances at the race track in question. The overall strength of an organization plays into it as well. Hendrick Motorsports and Joe Gibbs Racing are two of the top organizations in the NASCAR Cup Series. You’ll often see their drivers near the top of odds boards.
Yes, they will eventually. Legal sports betting in Ohio is expected to be up and running in the fourth quarter of 2022 or January 1, 2023, at the latest. Sportsbooks such as BetMGM, DraftKings, and Caesars Sportsbook will all offer legal sports betting on NASCAR races.
It’s not as popular as betting on the NFL, NBA, MLB, or NHL, but big races can attract big dollars at the betting windows. NASCAR is an oddity in the sense that its biggest race of the season comes first. That’s the Daytona 500 in February at Daytona International Speedway. The season then continues on until November.
You’ll need to be at least 21 years of age or older to bet on races.
Yes. Sports betting apps have geo-locating abilities that will prevent bets from outside of Ohio. You don’t need to be a resident of Ohio instead you just need to be within Ohio state boundaries when making a wager on a sports betting app.