When Ohio opened for sports betting license applications in mid-June, BetMGM was one of the first two sportsbooks to throw its hat in the ring. Both PointsBet and BetMGM submitted license applications to the Ohio Casino Control Commission, beginning the process of becoming licensed sports betting operators in the state.
Ohio passed legislation approving sports betting in 2021, and have announced a Jan. 1, 2023, launch date. Ohio is the seventh-most populous state in the country and is expected to be a large market for legal sports wagering.
BetMGM will most likely partner with its own MGM Resorts International-owned MGM Northfield Park casino, which is located in Northfield, Ohio. Licensed operators must have a partnership in place with an approved gaming entity in the state. BetMGM is applying for both a Type-A and Type-B license. The Type-A license is for Mobile Management Service Providers that wish to operate sports betting apps and online betting via a web browser. A Type B license is for a retail sportsbook.
Ohio sports betting applications: Which sportsbook operators can bettors expect at launch?
What Can Users Get With BetMGM Ohio Bonus Code?
It’s a certainty that BetMGM will provide a signup bonus or new user promo when it launches in Ohio. We don’t know what those offers might be, but here are things to consider:
- Signup bonuses begin before the launch date: Be alert for when bonuses launch. Sportsbooks are allowed to accept registrations for a period leading up to launch day, and they often offer bonuses to new customers. The free money or free bets, however, will not be available for use until the app launches.
- Risk-Free Betting: Nationwide for some time, BetMGM has been advertising its risk-free bet of up to $1,000. It’s possible that the offer could be available in Ohio in January. That means BetMGM will return any losses on your first bet up to $1,000, in the form of free betting credits.
- You may be eligible for a promo AND bonus: A promo offer might be something like a $50 free betting credit, which is triggered just by opening an account. An example of a bonus would be a deposit match, like BetMGM matching your deposit up to a certain amount, like $500. That match is in the form of free bets.
- You can use more than one sportsbook: While individual sportsbooks typically restrict you from having multiple accounts, you are allowed to have accounts with different sportsbooks. In fact, if you plan to bet regularly, you should try the different sportsbooks to see which is best for you. So, even if you aren’t sure about BetMGM Ohio, open an account and take advantage of the promos and offers, place a bet, and see how you like it.
Help is on the way: How Ohio sports bettors will be protected from illegal sportsbooks
What Makes BetMGM Ohio Different?
- A top-rated app: on Google Play with more than 1 million downloads, BetMGM Sportsbook has a 4.4 rating out of 5.0.
- BetMGM Ohio will offer FREE live streaming of sporting events within the app or your browser. Watch Europe’s top soccer matches, action from tennis tournaments, or select broadcasts from other top sports.
- With BetMGM you earn rewards for the MGM/BetMGM Loyalty program, which you can redeem for tickets to shows at an MGM Resort, a stay on vacation, or for sports experiences or betting offers.
- Most sportsbooks have a way for bettors to create their own parlay. But the Parlay Generator from BetMGM is the easiest to use. Quickly browse or search the odds offerings, adjust a dial to the preferred odds payoff, and make your own bet. It’s the most fun you’ll have in online sports betting.
- From any screen you’re on, BetMGM has a link to Easy Parlay, where you can design even more complex (and potentially profitable) wagers.
Bounce back for Buckeyes?: Ohio State tabbed as a heavy favorite to win Big Ten title
BetMGM’s Plans for Ohio
The BetMGM sports betting brand is in 20 U.S. states and the District of Columbia, as well as Puerto Rico, and Ontario. The brand is one of the strongest in the industry.
Bettors are attracted to BetMGM’s loyalty program, which allows users to accumulate rewards for use online or at MGM resorts and casinos, or for sports and vacation experiences and upgrades.
Will BetMGM Ohio have a retail brick-and-mortar sportsbook location?
It’s likely that eventually, it will. BetMGM has applied for the license to do so, and it could place a retail sportsbook in the MGM Northfield Park, which is owned and operated by MGM Resorts. That location, which is considered a “racino,” has been branded as MGM for more than two years, and in 2021 it launched a horse racing app under the BetMGM brand.
But most sports bettors in the Buckeye State will use the BetMGM Sportsbook app, which is a top-rated betting application available for iOS and Android devices. Or they can log on to BetMGM’s sportsbook website and manage their wagering there.
In many states where its operational, BetMGM is one of the most popular apps, but in Ohio, there has yet to be an announcement for partnerships involving the company. The Guardians, Browns, and Cavaliers have struck deals with other sportsbooks as “official sports betting partners,” which leaves BetMGM on the sidelines somewhat.
BetMGM will have to win customers through promotional offers, bonuses, and advertising in Ohio. Expect to see TV and internet ads for the BetMGM product. Current NHL star Connor McDavid, hockey legend Wayne Gretzky, and football legend Barry Sanders are among the athletes who serve as ambassadors for BetMGM. Seeing as Ohio is a lucrative market, expect to see a few former Ohio athletes shepherded into the BetMGM family.